Saturday, January 24, 2009

5 1 313 2 6!

Today, I met Doug. 

21 year old percussionist from Gainesville, GA. 

Former student of Gainesville State College.

Can play Amazing Grace on one string of the guitar.

Has a passion for music.

Nickname: The GongMaster

The friendliest person I've ever met.

Oh, and he's deaf.

I talked with Doug for about 15 minutes and it blew my mind. We are complete opposites upon viewing: I'm of a darker hue, from a foreign country, tall, shaven, and slim, while Doug was your typical "good ole southern boy," about 5'5'', chubby, with some facial hair. But I realized we were kindred spirits because we had something in common - an undying passion for music. 

Doug can't hear the glories of Rachmaninoff, or the awesomeness that is Steely Dan, but he can feel it. He said that he can feel the vibrations and the rhythm of the music [hence his attraction to percussion], but his curiosity to learn more about this art form outside the realm of his senses lead him to teach himself to play Amazing Grace on the guitar. He said he took a mathematical approach. He sang it to me.

5 1   313  2 1 6 5 ...etc.

Doug started having seizures when he was 19. He couldn't attend college after being diagnosed with epilepsy, so I don't know what he's doing know. 

He's on 10 different meds right now. For his seizures, he takes two medications which alter his mood, so he takes pills to keep his mood straight, but that weakens the seizure meds so he has to take another set of pills. He has stuff for allergies, some to sleep, some to stay awake, and some for back pain. 

Despite the drugs, Doug still emanated an exuberance and vitality that's not normally seen in handicapped individuals, and I really hesitate to call Doug handicapped, because, despite his hearing loss, Doug doesn't seem handicapped one bit. 

With joy and exquisite vocabulary, he detailed his process in "hearing" me speak. He can only hear vowels, so he read my lips, and my facial expressions, and body language for consonants, context, and tone, respectively. 

Doug is deaf, tone deaf, epileptic and all, but that does not stop him from appreciating the wonders of music. For a person who has never fully heard the human voice, his speech is quite musical. His voice is far from monotone. His inflections and cadence are natural, and he isn't afraid to try his hand at singing. :) 

I believe that when God gives someone a passion (especially, when all signs point to dead ends and everyone cries impossible), He intends to prove His power through that person. 

Even if you're atheist and disagree with my statement, my point remains the same: reach outside the confines of your being, find what ignites that spark in the core of your soul, fan the flames, and you'll be a light to others around you. 

I don't care if your passion is crocheting or aikido. 

If Doug can do it, you can too. 




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I need to learn to proofread before I post comments... Here it is, sans misspellings and word omissions.

    I just have one word for that: wow.

    Okay, I actually have a few more words.

    1) Your entry makes me feel like I need to do more with my life.
    2) You should "follow" my blog!
    3) I had to drop UChorus because I had a scheduling conflict with the concert... but I'll be in Women's Chorale and Barenaked Voices instead, so not all is lost =)

    ReplyDelete