Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rich in Heart and Full of Faith

Jamaica is magnificent. I find the quality of life here much better than life in America for some reason. It's not that Jamaica has fancier houses, faster cars, and bigger wallets. Quite the opposite, in fact. That last sentence was a huge understatement, too.

But, really, Jamaican life is richer. It's vibrant and alive.

Don't get me wrong. I like America. Most of the time. I like Americans. Most of the time. I guess...since I'm naturalized...I am American. But, really, I am Jamaican.

The government is suffering from years of past corruption and current confusion. The streets are riddled with potholes. Major cities are packed with homeless and peddlers and pickpockets. The morning news opens regularly with who got shot the night before. If you think you're suffering from a recession in America... hahaha. You're funny.

BUT, I'd choose to live here and raise my future family here than in America. Why?

I value humility of one's self and pride in one's country. And there's quite a lot of that here.

I value the privilege of growing up without extravagancies.

I value not taking things for granted.

I value culture, vibrant and flawed.

I value people, rich in heart and full of faith.

I value life, raw and uncut.

If a country's unofficial motto can be "No Worries," and that motto is visible on every face that line some of the congested, dirty streets in the middle of a worldwide recession, then there is obviously a lesson to be learned.

I choose Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment